What's new

Farms - lag or not ?

Scraggles

-= Phantom =-
Seems having lots of turtles is the major cause of lag, have saved the eggs and will collect the scutes when some hatch and then kill the turtles in my claimed farm.

Are chicken, pig, sheep and cattle farms likely to cause the same sort of lag ?

Kryyss

Minecraft generally has a soft limit on the number of entities that are within a fixed area in order to maintain performance. Generally that performance is maintained by having a limit on hostile, environmental and passive mobs. That default is around 100 entities at any one time before natural mob generation simply stops. Farms don't follow these rules and just create additional demands upon the server. And that really is the key here... the server. 64-bit Java can be assigned a ton of RAM and there is no limitations on processing power so what qualifies as 'likely to cause lag' is really down to what kind of server Harry and Building have paid for to host MCAges.

I've seen talk of 8Gb being able to support up to 50 players and plugins without any issues so I don't know how that compares to what MCAges runs on. The issue that this server has is that it's technically running 2 minecraft worlds at once given that you have the overworld and the mining world so that provides an additional demand. It's almost like running 1 1/2 servers at once.

Scraggles

-= Phantom =-
got a few farms dotted around the main world, will expand them to allow me to have sheep of one colour or another and will cull some of the sheep soon

they are nowhere near my bases afaik

Kryyss

In all honesty, there are solutions to issues like these that don't need mods or rules to correct. The way to reduce lag on the server due to these farms is down to some simple social engineering.

Take for example the issue with turtle farms. Because it takes several days for the eggs to hatch, players who want the scutes have large numbers of them. So admins can discourage turtle farms by offering a trade-station where players can put in something like wheat in exchange for scutes. The reason for this is that wheat matures in around 40mins which is faster than most turtle eggs take to mature so the trade-station becomes a better way to get scutes than massive turtle farms. Wheat blocks do not generate anywhere near as much lag as turtles, the harvesting can also be automated so that is less tedious than someone hand-feeding baby turtles to make them mature.

The admins then need to make players very aware that the trade-station exists so that players simply don't see the point in bothering with turtle farms. This same approach can be used for sheep, cows and chicken farms. Just provide trade-station alternatives using normal crops that don't generate as much lag.

Scraggles

-= Phantom =-
Is there such a trade station ? as have not seen it yet

Will be expanding the sheep and cow farms, but mostly sheep so as to have pens of different colour sheep for the wool and of course leather.

Probably 50-100 cows and 75-150 sheep, but they are mostly in a wooless state, so need to hang around them and get the colour sorted

I say trade stations just because the current admin shops simply buy items for coins so to call them admin shops would be a confusing way to explain things. I'm talking an item(s) for item(s) swap. Do trade-stations exist? Yes. In fact hopper-shops can be done by players using nothing more than redstone so the admins would simply introduce a commandblock to a normal hopper-shop to keep the chests full of scutes to give to players.