What's new

Making a fortune on Alien Age

Its_Ruz

Cobweb Bandit
Helper
-= Phantom =-
Hey a quick introduction- I firstly apologise for any spelling mistakes since I'm bad at that :p
Also the currency system on Alien Ages has been changed and I noticed a lot of people having difficulty making money, so I decided to make a short post on how I've managed to make it into the first page of baltop. This is very simple and obvious, yet not very many people have considered this tactic to making money.
There are many people more qualified to give you advice, but this worked for me and hopefully will work for you :)

Step 1- Set up a mob grinder
This is pretty self-explanatory, but you need a way to make xp since there is no /warp ryxnie set up just yet (we're waiting). The easiest way is to find a dungeon with a mob spawner and set up a mob grinder around that. I have a rudimentary skeleton spawner which I use, it's not fast but it works. The goal of this is to have a primary way to gain xp for the following steps, and the mob drops can also be sold to make a little bit of extra money.

Step 2- Set up an enchanting setup
Yet again there is little to no public enchanting rooms because there are no player warps yet and enchanting tables require trust to use. I will eventually set up a trust based public enchanting setup so bear with me. An enchanting setup consists on an enchanting table partially surrounded by bookshelves AND a grindstone close by; this is important. This is also useful long-term as enchanting items is something you will do constantly.

Step 3- Fortune 3 grind
So now since the economy runs off Lapis Lazuli, the trick is to get as much Lapis from each vein as possible, hence Fortune 3. There is no easy way to get fortune 3 since it is luck dependant, but I will show you a more systematic approach to seeking enchants. This system is based off the enchantment cycling mechanic.
So the first step is to have both an iron pickaxe and a diamond pickaxe ready to enchant- Fortune 3 doesn't really change depending on pickaxe type, so you are effectively doubling your chance of receiving Fortune 3 by having both types ready. Since you have an xp farm, you should have plenty of xp to start grinding for Fortune 3, if you ever run out of levels (drop below 30) you should grind levels up to about 35-40. The way my enchanting system works is seeking Fortune 3 as the "given" tier 30 enchant on both pickaxes (by that I mean the one you can read). If neither the iron or diamond pickaxe has Fortune 3 as the tier 30 enchant, you should cycle the enchants. I do this by applying a LEVEL 1 enchant on a GOLD shovel. I do this since the level doesn't matter when cycling trades, so it's better to use the least amount of levels (and Lapis) and since gold has the best enchantability, so you can get more xp off grindstoning the shovel. Repeat this cycle until you find a Fortune 3 enchant on either pickaxe; this might take a while, but it is SO much better than hoping for a random enchant you give you Fortune 3.

Step 4- Time to mine!
So there really is no trick to mining (although i'll try and give you some) but it is the best way to currently make a lot of money. A simple and effective way to mine is simply strip-mining. This is going to y=11 and digging a 2x1 hole straight foreward pretty much constantly, hoping to dig into a Lapis or Diamond vein. I tend not to do this as it is very slow and tedious, but it is also the best way to level up you Mcmmo mining skill.
Another way is to search ravines and caves. I find this the best way since it is so much faster as ravines and caves expose alot more ore on the surface so you have to dig less, and it uses up less durability. Another tip to save durability is to use a separate pickaxe to mine stone and only use your Fortune pick to get the good stuff.
Now this is where a rank could help out quite a bit. The /fix command is SO useful when strip-mining as it effectively gives you unlimited durability to keep digging non-stop. The /fly command is also useful for cave/ravine exploration as it allows you to reach ores easier and also travel a lot faster. Given this, a rank is not needed at all so please do not look at this as if it is a requirement :)

I hope this was worth the read as a lot of this is extremely obvious to most people. If you want a follow up on anything I mentioned, let me know and I hope to see you on the first page of /baltop :)

I've not played on the server recently but if the new age is up and running I'll have to take a look. Lapis is actually one of the best items for currency because it is limited in supply, naturally leaves the economy through enchanting and dyes plus has no glaring exploits to obtain it. It also can be compressed into blocks which makes storage for currency much easier.

That said, the solution to get lapis is actually trading but as we know the villager mechanics now have a supply/demand effect whereby the more you exploit the trades, the less efficient the trade becomes. As such, farms actually become the natural alternative to mining since you sell veggies, animal products and fruit to villagers for emeralds. The sugar cane farm may make a come back, as before, since cartographers will buy paper. You then buy the lapis for around 1 per emerald, initially but the price will rise by 0.5 each time by the looks of it as you buy more and more. it also appears to cap out at 6 trades per day.

As for which crop or item yields the most efficient trades vs effort, I'd need to look into the trading system further to find out. The really nice thing however is that I doubt there is a great deal separating what item is best for trading vs another so folks aren't locked into a specific play style.

Last edited:

Its_Ruz

Cobweb Bandit
Helper
-= Phantom =-
I've not played on the server recently but if the new age is up and running I'll have to take a look. Lapis is actually one of the best items for currency because it is limited in supply, naturally leaves the economy through enchanting and dyes plus has no glaring exploits to obtain it. It also can be compressed into blocks which makes storage for currency much easier.

That said, the solution to get lapis is actually trading but as we know the villager mechanics now have a supply/demand effect whereby the more you exploit the trades, the less efficient the trade becomes. As such, farms actually become the natural alternative to mining since you sell veggies, animal products and fruit to villagers for emeralds. The sugar cane farm may make a come back, as before, since cartographers will buy paper. You then buy the lapis for around 1 per emerald, initially but the price will rise by 0.5 each time by the looks of it as you buy more and more. it also appears to cap out at 6 trades per day.

As for which crop or item yields the most efficient trades vs effort, I'd need to look into the trading system further to find out. The really nice thing however is that I doubt there is a great deal separating what item is best for trading vs another so folks aren't locked into a specific play style.
So yeah you can also get blue dyes from cornflowers. But what If I told you that server owners can make it so villagers don't sell Lapis :eyes: