What's new

Overpowered /back command

I know the back command is useful but I think it may be too useful because since you can use it indefinitely it makes dying an easy way to regain health and hunger without consequences so there could maybe be a cool down for a few minutes to an hour for it to make it more balanced

Edit: didn't realize this was a serious topic but glad I could contribute

Last edited:

pokeepoof

-= Phantom =-
Well you lose all your xp on death sure you can die and regain health and hunger but that isn't how most people play. Thats kind of the "ok i'm starving to death on half a heart and up the top of this snow covered mountain, I've got no base no home no food this is the only option i can do"

In pure survival you could do the same by placing a bed taking a nap and tripping over a rock then respawn right next to the bed which is 2 feet from where you died.

its pretty much the exact same thing except you'd probably dig a a few dirt blocks out and place your bed in a hole to wait for night and bungee jump without the bungee then respawn and you have to wait for night again to do it again.

Food is pretty easy to get to regain health. potato farm use some campfires which can cook them and have no fuel use you've got unlimited baked potatos and can stack camp fires on top of each other to pop out a stack of baked potatos all at once

I have the play style of:
Everything I own (food,weapons,armor) stays in a chest and I carry around 5 stone tools of what I’m using and when I get low I climb my torch tower and jump off to regain health because I think I’ll break stuff if I use it
That’s why I feel like it’s OP because my style is really bad and I abuse it a lot

I actually agree with this. When you look at the Insane Difficulty Server topic I started you see that many people agree that Minecraft needs that sense of dread back that we all experienced when he first started playing the game - and the /back command removes that feeling even more.

Yel_Glove

G.O.A.T
Mod
-= Phantom =-
Although I agree in some aspects and I appreciate the concerns about this... there are many players who wouldn't want to deal with restarting all over when they die etc. hence why we've missed out on a market of players that refuse to play a server without Keep Inv... the whole insane difficulty thing is being looked into, which will hopefully provide the alternative game-play style that you and many others are looking for. But I feel that key aspects of Alien such as the /back shouldn't be changed lest we lose the player base we currently have!

The alternative is to make /back a command that requires a payment. A money sink. That way you have the dread of needing to pay to get your stuff back but it's not nearly as bad a losing everything.

From an economic point of view it would establish a nice baseline for minimum costs of stuff. Let's say that the /back command costs $500 and you know you're gonna die at least twice defeating the Wither, then you know to make any kind of profit you need to sell the Netherstar for more than $1000. It also means a skilled player can afford to charge less than an unskilled one. Folks may decide to give their Witherskulls to a skilled player to get the Netherstar and pay them for the job, rather than doing it themself because it would cost a fortune in /back costs.

EdnaRunescape

Best Mod
Mod
-= Phantom =-
ooo I like this idea! I think that would make for a very interesting (and slightly exciting) gameplay.

My clumsiness would end up bankrupting me :')

- Eden

The industrial server had those quest scrolls which had an admin command that gave the player diamond gear. If there is no plugin to charge a fee for using /back then an adminshop could sell /back scrolls instead. You'd just need to keep some in your /PV or in a chest next to your respawn point.

haz

Huncho
Owner
The alternative is to make /back a command that requires a payment. A money sink. That way you have the dread of needing to pay to get your stuff back but it's not nearly as bad a losing everything.

From an economic point of view it would establish a nice baseline for minimum costs of stuff. Let's say that the /back command costs $500 and you know you're gonna die at least twice defeating the Wither, then you know to make any kind of profit you need to sell the Netherstar for more than $1000. It also means a skilled player can afford to charge less than an unskilled one. Folks may decide to give their Witherskulls to a skilled player to get the Netherstar and pay them for the job, rather than doing it themself because it would cost a fortune in /back costs.
We had this on our very first Survival server, and I will bring this back for Industrial II. Thanks for reminding me :)

It really depends upon the economy. If the typical player is ending the week with like $500 then expecting them to pay $500 to use /back is unreasonable. But if the average player ends the week with $10000 then the cost of using /back needs to be increased.

Unfortunately you can't balance around the full average income across the whole server since you always have those folks who grind the most efficient money-making activities for like 6 hours a day, so you just look at the typical players and exclude those nutjobs from the equasion.

We had this on our very first Survival server, and I will bring this back for Industrial II. Thanks for reminding me :)
Glad I could help. Given the replies to other topics on the forum, combined with the Minecraft community's recent interest in hardcore modes and your interest in making the /back command require a payment - would it be safe to conclude that the relaunched server is going to try and provide a more challenging experience?

haz

Huncho
Owner
Glad I could help. Given the replies to other topics on the forum, combined with the Minecraft community's recent interest in hardcore modes and your interest in making the /back command require a payment - would it be safe to conclude that the relaunched server is going to try and provide a more challenging experience?
Industrial II will be very close to Industrial as we are aiming to rebuild the community. In the background we are working on some hard game concepts which I'd love to bring a future age.

but could it still have a less challenging one for less serious players?
There's already a plug in that allows for dimension specific inventories.

So one of the possibilities is that you have a 'creative hub world' where everyone builds their main homes using blocks and items purchased from an admin store but with portals leading to other dimensions. The idea being that you can't take anything from one world to another but you go through the portal to adventure worlds, make money and then spend it at the admin shops to build your home in the hub world.

The adventure worlds could therefore be varying difficulties with the more dangerous one offering better rewards for what you do compared to the normal one. Something like this would therefore satisfy all types of players, from the creative sorts and casual players to hardcore players all while creating a very natural money sink for the economy. Haz could even sell 'creative kits' from the cash shop for people who have really big projects and don't want to make the money from adventuring.