What's new

Rockyroad - The creation of MC Ages' Candyland

For around 6 months now, some of you may have seen the Candyland mentioned off and on in chat. Some of you who have visited frequently have seen it start as a swamp and end up as the theme park which is now opening today complete with public services and mini-games. Although I didn't document it as fully as I liked, I did keep some general notes of progress over the course of the build since it is interesting to look back on how things have changed in what used to be little more than a muddy swamp.

November 7th 2018

A muddy swap in a largely abandoned corner of the main overworld on MC Ages. This was the first screenshot I took of the build although I had started it around 2 weeks earlier. Getting set up on a new server takes time. The initial plan was to have mycelium under the snow for the particle effect but this turned out to be laggy across a large area.

December 9th 2018

After adding in an auto-farm for melons (the fizzy drinks cans), work started for the cake cliffs around what was my home for a long time inside the central cake. The limited draw distance on the server forced me to reconsider an open plan design in favor of an enclosed valley.

January 13th 2019

Even with additional time off from work during the xmas period, progress was slower than I liked. Much of the region which was to become the shopping district was now taking shape. However, it has dawned on me that the mini-games required a currency and it was unfair to ask visitors to bring their own. So a plan was hatched to build an Pigman farm using massive Netherportals to function both as a publish XP farm but also to allow for them to easily obtain gold for the mini-games.

March 2nd 2019

Work on the XP farm was still in progress and to take a break from the vast amount of testing and material gathering I had started to work on the Rockcandy cavern. Progress was far slower than I liked as it hard taken 2 months to even near completion. Concrete was slow to produce, as was the dye and glass needed to give it the 'glazed' effect I wanted. The beacon was now in place in preparation for the amount of digging needed for this part of the theme park.

March 16th 2019

The Pigman farm was complete and worked on the cavern was full under way. The outside of the massive Netherportals needed to be covered in more brown mushroom blocks which I was using due to how similar it looks to sponge cake. Vast amounts of materials were still needed.

March 30th 2019

Although not not in this image, the cavern was now almost complete and I started to work on the surface again as a break from working underground for a couple weeks. The Netherportals was completely covered now but it felt like the top of the mesa needed some decorating so I added the Candyland sign which is inspired by the Hollywood sign that is also on a cliff edge.

April 6th 2019

Concrete mixing was starting to really hinder progress on the build and the cavern required a ton of the stuff. Once this auto-mixer was built, the progress on Candyland really picked up speed and by April 21st 2019 the theme park was completed. If you want to see how it looks today, you'll just have to pay a visit for yourself :)

I also wanted to take this time to thank everyone who contributed to this build. I have been trying to keep a record of everyone who donated materials or who spared their time to assist with construction. My whole-hearted gratitude to the following people - you are all Candyland Heroes :)

Irinaplaysmc15
Edenio15
Mackkaa
Pixieflower14
harden_sireon
sander361
mrculotten
Gun2SV
Emilo
Halamatrix
Lavahead1104
MidnightDust
Scraggles
_Ian
Mitslanevx
JJACheung
Beaner_88
Miner_CB
Geek_PNG
Radiothumper
Ryxnie
Xtentacles
marsstriker
Spookymegu
crazychef
Tbast9_

If anyone is missing from this list please let me know. I apologize for not taking a note of your name earlier.

It was destroyed when the industrial server was shutdown. All that remains is screenshots now.

What isn't seen in these screenies is that it eventually had 3 fully-automated mini-games where you dropped in 3 gold bar to start the game. If you won then it paid out emeralds and in the candyfloss forest part of the park was a shop where you could trade the emeralds in for rewards such as enchanting books, slime blocks and diamonds.