What's new

IG Farm keeps glitching out

Lianail

Hardcore
I have a 3 level IG farm. They are stacked 70 apart vertically. They were working fine 2 weeks ago, generating a stack an hour or more.

Now, they aren't generating at all. I hadn't checked them in about a week so I don't know when exactly the problem started.

I removed the doors on village #2, re-logged, waited 30 seconds or so, then replaced them. 1 golem spawned. So repeated the same process on village 1 & 3. As I was doing that, 1 more spawned. After all 3 villages were replaced, the IGs stopped spawning again.

Lianail

Hardcore
If I'm standing at the IG farm and appear to be AFK, I'm not. I'm actually listening for golems. I have the volume turned up so I can hear any mobs in the area. I'm just on this forum or googling the problem. Please check the contents of the chest before you TPO me to /warp afk. If there's no iron in the chest, I'm not at an IG farm :D

Lianail

Hardcore
Right now, I have the doors removed from Village 2 in case there was something changed with the proximity of villages. So village 1 & 3 are 140 apart.

Lianail

Hardcore
I've been at the farm for 1 hour since removing level 2. Not a single golem has spawned in that time from villages 1 & 3.

Lianail

Hardcore
A golem just spawned a few minutes ago with villages 1 & 3 That's the third in 2 hours. So the villages are not broken, there is something wrong with the spawn rate. That sounds like a server configuration setting that's different than it was before.

Lianail

Hardcore
Quotes from the wiki Iron Golem Farm Tutorial on the official wiki https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Iron_golem_farming

"Iron golems spawn naturally in villages (natural or player-made), provided there are 10 villagers and at least 21 houses (counted as doors). The chance of spawning is 1 in 7000 per tick, which averages around one every six minutes. "
  • Since I didn't get good metrics on the spawn rate, it is possible that only the bottom one was generating. I'm sure my rate was higher than that, however.

"This design uses offset stacks of villages allowing players to compress a large number into a relatively small space (27 villages in less than 150 sq blocks"
  • so it is possible to have villages a lot closer than 64 blocks apart. They can actually be on top of / within each other. Per other pages, if done correctly, you can stack 64 villages in the same space with the same exact center block.

Lianail

Hardcore
After server restart, I was standing in the level 2 area village (doors removed). 2 more golems spawned in the last 26 minutes (with 2 villages in range)

Lianail

Hardcore
Spawn rate has increased to acceptable levels since the restart. I just got 2 with 30 seconds of each other.